As we motor towards the end of the year, with just a few hours of work left, I automatically start to think of ALL the things I want to achieve and get done with my time off. Most of these things do involve the beach, sports and catching up with family and friends…. but I also see it as an opportunity to finally get to certain things that I’ve been putting off.
If you’re anything like me it’s probably not a short list, whether it’s work in the garden, home maintenance, organising a tradie, or getting things sorted with your financial affairs. Again, if you’re like me, you probably get reminded about ALL of the items on the list often!
Hopefully you are looking forward to a well-deserved break from work and have some downtime over December and January. Spending time with family and friends, doing all the fun stuff and recharging for 2019; but at the same time it’s a great chance to put time aside to tick off some of those items that have been shelved for another day.
From a financial perspective, it could mean all sorts of things…
- How long has it been since you had a health check on your mortgage (or YOU for that matter)?
- How long since you reviewed your car insurance, or your home and contents insurance? Could you get a better deal elsewhere?
- What about your health insurance? Are you utilising those extras (dental, physio, etc)?
- Is your estate planning up to date? Do you need to update your Will’s, Power of Attorney, Trusts etc, but you haven’t returned the solicitors call?
- How long has it been since your personal insurances were reviewed? To make sure they are relevant to your personal circumstances? What has changed since they were last looked at?
- Have you done any of the above but are still sitting on forms that are delaying the process (I know I am!)
- If you’re not a Hewison client, are your financial arrangements something you’ve been meaning to look at but haven’t taken that first step to arrange a meeting yet?
The point is worth considering whether any of these pressing matters could be started or even finalised while you don’t have the demands of work taking up all your attention.
Have I mentioned something that you haven’t done yet but know you need to? As always, we are here to help and work with you. And if you would like help with any aspect of your financial affairs that fall outside of our expertise, we are happy to put you in touch with like-minded professionals that will see you in good hands.
But most importantly, enjoy your break and I’d like to wish the wider Hewison family a happy and healthy Christmas and all the very best in 2019.
Hewison Private Wealth is a Melbourne based independent financial planning firm. Our financial advisers are highly qualified wealth managers and specialise in self managed super funds (SMSF), financial planning, retirement planning advice and investment portfolio management. If you would like to speak to a financial adviser on how you can secure your financial future please contact us 03 8548 4800, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.hewison.com.au
Please note: The advice provided above is general information only and individuals should seek specialised advice from a qualified financial advisor. The views in this blog are those of the individual and may not represent the general opinion of the firm. Please contact Hewison Private Wealth for more information.