In 1985 I founded Hewison Private Wealth with the view to provide unbiased, truly independent financial advice. And for more than 30 years Hewison Private Wealth has been one of Australia’s leading independent financial planners.
I am now the non-executive Chairman and Founder of Hewison Private Wealth. I remain involved in the company’s strategic planning and the mentoring of my senior management colleagues. I also retain a small portfolio of our firm’s key clients.
I’ve seen a lot of peaks and troughs in the financial world over the last 30 odd years. And through these experiences my colleagues and I have developed a highly personalised and disciplined service offering that has successfully led our clients through two economic downturns.
My expertise lies in personalised investment advice and strategic financial planning. As well as high net worth client management and the operation of individually managed accounts in a private banking type profile. We take pride in our commitment to innovation, which has enabled us to be leaders in objective based financial planning, providing high touch relationships with our clients and their families.
I have a close association with highly respected industry bodies such as the Financial Planning Association of Australia (FPA). I was appointed as Director of the FPA in 1997, before being appointed as Chairman throughout 2000 and 2001. During my Chairmanship of the FPA in 2001, I successfully negotiated an important amendment to the Alienation of Personal Services Income legislation with the then Prime Minister, John Howard.
I represented Australia on The Financial Panning Standards Board (FPSB) International Council from 2000 – 2004 and was appointed to the FPSB Board of Directors in 2004. FPSB is the organisation responsible for the international stewardship of the Certified Financial Planner™ professional designation.
I am a Fellow and Life Member of the FPA as well as a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the Australian Institute of Management.
I’ve fulfilled numerous speaking positions at national and international financial service conferences – including Japan, India and the USA.
John’s Qualifications & Accreditations
- Masters Financial Planning (RMIT University)
- Certified Financial Planner (post graduate CFP® professional designation)
- Accredited Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF) Specialist Adviser (SSA®) – accredited by the Self-Managed Super Fund Professionals Association of Australia (SPAA®)
- FPA Distinguished Service Award
- Industry Thought Leader 2014 Finalist at the IFA Awards 2014.
Hewison Private Wealth – the company
We think we are one of the best independent financial planners, investment advisers and wealth creation firms in Australia. But don’t just take our word for it…
- “Boutique Firm of the Year” (finalist) at the Independent Financial Adviser (iFA) Awards: 2018, 2017, 2015 and 2016. And we won the award outright in 2014.
The Independent Financial Adviser Awards celebrates best practice in the provision of financial advice and business acumen of Australia’s independent financial advice sector. They are the only industry awards in Australia that are dedicated exclusively to boutique and non-aligned / independent financial advisers.
- Highly Commended for ‘Best Private Wealth Manager’: 2016 Financial Review Smart Investor Blue Ribbon Awards. We were the only private wealth firm to receive this commendation
- Plus, Hewison Private Wealth Private Client Advisers – Chris Morcom, Glenn Fairbairn, Nathan Lear and Simon Curtain were all individual financial adviser finalists at the 2018 Independent Financial Adviser Awards and/or SMSF Adviser Awards 2017